Holy Spirit Renewal Ministry
Holy Spirit Renewal Ministry
As we look at the landscape of renewal movements being attributed to the Holy Spirit these days, we see an enormous variety of expressions. Where do we, Holy Spirit Renewal Ministries, find ourselves in this vast array? Here are some of our distinctives:
We are being given unprecedented opportunities to shine our lights for Jesus Christ. Please join us as we seek to equip and empower the church to fulfill her destiny in Christ!
HSRM is a renewal movement started in the 1970’s that emphasizes the power and presence of the Holy Spirit. Throughout its history, the leadership team of HSRM, comprised of both clergy and lay leaders, seek God’s heart and mind to represent both dutiful Scriptural interpretation and freedom of the Holy Spirit.
We believe God has blessed HSRM with a unique blend of backgrounds and experiences in our leadership team, as well as through the many speakers, and the variety of people who find a “home” among us. We do not seek to duplicate or emulate other renewal movements that are used of God, and have influenced us (see document on HSRM distinctives). We, however, desire to teach and practice the life and renewal of the Holy Spirit as led by Him and our understanding of Scripture.
We desire to bring renewal to our American Baptist Churches, and to the wider body of Christ where renewal is not often taught or practiced. What follows are general statements that define for us how the Spirit does and can work in our lives, churches, and conferences. It is our purpose to bring clarity, understanding, and unity in our churches and the Body of Christ.
I. The Holy Spirit indwells each believer at salvation (Eph. 1: 13; John 20; 22).
II. The gift of the Holy Spirit is intended to unite all Christians (I Cor. 12:12-14). We seek unity in the Spirit, yet also realize that not everyone within or outside of HSRM will necessarily agree on everything taught or practiced. We seek “above all to put on love” in all that we teach and practice.
III. Scripture describes different experiences of the Spirit’s “filling” believers. These descriptions usually, though not always, occurred after an initial salvation experience of believing in Christ. These terms are referred to as
· Being filled with the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues (Acts 2:4);
· Receiving the Spirit after believing in Jesus (Acts 8:12-17);
· The Spirit coming upon believers in much power at salvation (Acts 19:1-12);
· Being filled with the Spirit as a continuous desire and practice (Eph. 5:18).
· We recognize that there are both unique and distinct fillings of the Spirit after salvation, and ongoing “fillings” of the Spirit in our lives. We believe that the gift of the Holy Spirit is not reserved to just one or a few experiences in the believer’s life (Acts 4:29-31)
IV. All spiritual gifts in Scripture are valid for personal and corporate ministry.
· Different manifestations of gifts occurred in Acts when they experienced the Holy Spirit. Some of these manifestations were tongues and prophecy (Acts 2:3; 10:46; 19:6); new boldness (Acts 4:31), and worship of God (Acts 10:46).
· We encourage all gifts (I Corinthians 14:1) for believers to be received for personal and church edification (I Cor. 14:1-3). No one gift, like tongues, is the only or initial evidence of Spirit fullness.
· Spiritual gifts manifest the Spirit; they are supernatural and not mere talents (I Cor. 12: 4-11).
· No one gift should be over emphasized, but neither should gifts like tongues, prophecy, healing, words of knowledge, discerning of spirits, faith or miracles, be under emphasized, devalued, or taught as having little relevance in today’s church.
· All gifts are under the control of the person and are to be used in love to benefit others (I Cor. 14:32).
· Paul takes time to explain the proper use of tongues and prophecy in (1 Cor. 14:1-3)
V. There are many evidences of Spirit-filled life.
We believe an authentic Spirit-filled life is not merely evidenced by spiritual gifts, outward appearance, or one’s personality. Evidences of a Spirit-filled transformed life include growth in all areas of the Christian life and experience:
· Fruit of the Spirit (Gal. 5:22-23);
· Godly desires and lifestyle (Rom. 8: 12-16);
· Worship (Eph. 5:18-19);
· Missional and evangelistic boldness and witness (Acts 1:8);
· Fellowship in the church (Acts 2:42);
· Daily desire for the Holy Spirit’s power and influence (Eph. 5:18);
· Desire for and practice of spiritual gifts (I Cor. 12:4-11; 14:1-3).
VI. Genuine encounters from the Holy Spirit are real and transformative.
• Like those in Scripture, who were not necessarily anticipating such encounters, these experiences happened for their direction, transformation, healing, or other’s benefit. (Acts 9:10-16; Acts 10: 9-16; II. Cor. 12:7-10).
• Many times at HSRM conferences encounters with the Holy Spirit “happen,” and are beneficial for healing, direction, or transformation in one’s life. These “more dramatic” experiences may include falling or resting in the Spirit, shaking, laughing, weeping, dreams, silence, or exuberant praise. On the whole, we have found that such experiences are sincere, and signs of a unique ministry from the Holy Spirit.
• While our HSRM leadership team try to be discerning of experiences, we also do not want to “quench the Spirit” (I Thess. 5: 19-21), or His work among us to heal and empower lives.
Formulated by HSRM Executive Committee and adopted November 2018
"Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the Lord rises upon you. See, darkness covers the earth and thick darkness is over the peoples, but the Lord rises upon you and his glory appears over you. Nations will come to your light, and kings to the brightness of your dawn." — Isaiah 60:1-3 (NIV)
The Holy Spirit Renewal Ministries stands within the theological stream of American Evangelicalism with an emphasis on encouraging spiritual renewal and ministry in the power and presence of the Holy Spirit (see distinctives above). Listed below are the statements of belief from the National Association of Evangelicals:
... the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God.
... that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
... in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory.
... that for the salvation of lost and sinful people, regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential.
... in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.
... in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; they that are saved unto the resurrection of life and they that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation.
... in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ.
Holy Spirit Renewal Ministries
Copyright © 2020 Holy Spirit Renewal Ministries - All Rights Reserved.
Powered by The Holy Spirit